Friday, December 1, 2017

GRANT GUY


GRANT GUY

UNTIL

my language   to voice   to give it truth   was crippled
i crippled my voice    to keep the unwanted language at a distance
unable to do harm   b/c love & death are the same word
the walls i built were as strong as a granite
as hard as god’s unforgiving heart

to keep my language   my voice   to keep the words away

until
until you found my crippled heart & made it virtuous
until you found my crippled bed & made it virtuous
until you eroded the granite stone fortress

erected against the unwanted language
against my voice   against the word love & death

you filled my heart & soul w/o owning them
i filled your heart & soul without owning them

a new sound has entered   my ears     new words   & not frightful
it does not matter if we are in the quiet hours of the night
or in the golden glare of daylight
the words rise up like a choir off my tongue to a living air

the new sound   the new song
of my wanted language sings sings sings out loud

wherever the words    new sound travels    in laughter or tears
we could be holding hands or kissing
the new sound    how i love the sound of that

the words love & death
no longer chained together

i
love
I love    goddamn it





SHAKE HANDS OF THE DAY

a quiet dawn
& sun crested day
await the new lovers
in this moment
in the bed of discovery
they are in no hurry
to shake hands of the day

arms & bodies locked
in the frozen moment of time
the love of the waitress
& the singer of songs
flashed like holy signs
& etched by gentle rain
In their souls forever

a super 8 motel
never glowed with so much

poetry





ALL I NEED TO KNOW

for a love found & lost
& lost & found
she is the only light i want to know
for she is all    all that is beautiful

&
allows me to withstand the harsh to the heart

i raise my voice in harmony
to her song of light
allowing me to sing my song
for she is all    all that is beautiful

& she
allows an honesty to surface

& her song
is the birth of my honesty

that is all i need to know


GRANT GUY

GRANT GUY is a Winnipeg, Canada, poet, writer and playwright. Former artistic director of Adhere + Deny. His writings have been published in Canada, the United States, Wales, India and England. He has three books published. He was the 2004 recipient of the MAC’s 2004 Award of Distinction and the 2017 recipient of the WAC’s Making A Difference Award.



No comments :

Post a Comment