Tuesday, August 1, 2017

MICHELA ZANARELLA

OUR POETRY ARCHVE FEATURED
POET OF THE MONTH
MICHELA 
ZANARELLA

AUGUST 2017



OPA How long have you been writing Poetry? We would like to know the early stories about your growing up as a poet or writer in general. Who are your favorite Poets? What are some of your favorite genres to read and to write? Had they inspired you a lot, do you believe in inspiration as a guiding force behind writings at all?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: I have written poems for more than ten years. I started after a tragic road accident that changed my life. I had never written poetry before and poetry came as a special gift. Since then it never abandoned me. I started to publish texts in some literary sites, I take part in competitions and I receive awards. I have always tried to read the poets of the past, I think it's necessary to know who has preceded us. Among my reference poets I would like to quote Leopardi, Quasimodo, Ungaretti, Pasolini, Merini, Campana, Verlaine, Baudelaire and many others. I read everything, from fiction to the essay, but in particular much contemporary poetry. Inspiration is definitely a driving force to get to the creation. It can come from moment to moment, without a precise motive.

           
OPA What has been the toughest criticism given to you as a writer? What was the biggest compliment? Did that change how or what you write?  What has been the strangest thing that a reader has asked you?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: In the past my writing was different, more hermetic, I was criticized for this, so I tried to make it simpler, without too much expressive forcing. Readers appreciate the pictures I can create, perhaps this is the most beautiful compliment. A very young reader, a child, once asked me if poetry is studying, I believe beyond the techniques it is necessary to feel, perceive, and to make sure that what is written produces something.


OPA What is your favorite poem you have ever written? Compared to when you first started writing, have you notice any big changes in your writing style or how you write compared from then to now?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: I do not have a favorite poem, every text has its uniqueness and I consider it part of my path. As I said before, over time I changed style and I managed to find a language that I feel fit to feel.


OPA   What has been your favorite part of being a poet or and author? What has been your least favorite?

 MICHELA ZANARELLA:  Poetry has allowed me to know many people, to get closer to different realities, to enter more into my personality.


OPA Did you get to quit your day job and become a writer and/or author, or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?

MICHELA ZANARELLA:  Writing is part of my daily life. I do not live in poetry, but it definitely helps me to be better. I deal with journalism and my main business always has the writing base.


OPA Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do? What genre are you most looking forward to explore during your writing career? Why?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: In addition to reading and writing I love to travel. When I can I try to go to places I do not know. I would love to write something about children's: fairy tales. Because to be able to conquer the little ones I think is really exciting. They see things with different eyes and if a book fascinates them they say it spontaneously.


OPA: Do you think literature or poetry is essential in our life? If so why? How does it relate to the general history of mankind?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: Yes, poetry and literature are fundamental to my life. I could not live without. Writing helps me to feel good and gives me the opportunity to say things that I can not say often. Poetry has always given humanity contact with the beauty of things.


OPA   Our readers would like to know your own personal experience regarding the importance of literature and poetry in your life.

MICHELA ZANARELLA: Poetry has allowed me to learn to appreciate every moment of life, gave me the opportunity to know myself and to overcome fears and uncertainties.


OPA Do you think people in general bother about literature in general?  Do you think this consumerist world is turning the average man away from serious literature?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: You can not generalize. There are people who are aware of the value of literature, others that are not interested in anything. In the end, you must know how to accept it.


OPA If humanity tries to understand tradition and modernism; do you think literature can play a pivotal role in obtaining understanding?  If so, how? Again, how can an individual writer relate himself or herself with the tradition and modernism?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: Literature plays an important role in the evolution of society. Knowing how to make changes and forward them is necessary, without forgetting the tradition. Telling what is happening is a sign of transparency and honesty with readers.


OPA Do you think society is a factor in shaping you as a poet, or your poetry altogether?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: Society in some way affects the creativity of the writer. The poet absorbs what is around him.


OPA We would like to know about any influences that has inspired your poetry and writings.

 MICHELA ZANARELLA: Elements of nature, affections, things that happen that become the inspiration of what I write.


OPA We would also like to know; how do you relate the present literary trends with the literary heritage of your country? 

MICHELA ZANARELLA: I have been able to make my poetry known not only in my own country, but also abroad. Publishing several books helped me a lot and having good translators was important.


OPA Do you believe that all writers are the product of their nationality? Is it an incentive or an obstacle in becoming an international writer?

MICHELA ZANARELLA: I believe that every writer must represent his nation, but feel boundless, free to be a citizen of the world.


OPA What 7 words would you use to describe yourself?

MICHELA ZANARELLA:
Timid, sincere, determined, generous, solar, positive, dreamer.


OPA   Is there anything else that you would like to share or say to those who will read this interview?

MICHELA ZANARELLA : Poetry is my freedom, I hope that what I write reaches the heart of many people.

MICHELA ZANARELLA was born in Cittadella (PD) in 1980. Since 2007 he lives and works in Rome. He published the following collections of poetry: Credo (2006), Awakenings (2008), Life, infinite, havens (2009), Sensuality (2011), Meditations for women (2012), The aesthetics of the beyond (2013), The identity of the sky (2013), Tragically red (2015), The words near (2017). In Romania it came out in a bilingual edition the collection Imensele coincidenţe (2015). The author of fiction and texts for theater, is editor of Italian Journal and Laici.it. His poems have been translated into English, French, Arabic, Spanish, Romanian, Serbian, greek, Portuguese, Hindi and Japanese. He got the Creativity Prize at the International Prize Naji Naaman's 2016. Is ambassador for culture and represents Italy in Lebanon for the Foundation Naji Naaman. Is in the direction of Writers Capital International Foundation. Corresponding member of the Academy Cosentina, founded in 1511 by Aulo Giano Parrasio.

The editorial staff of this project: Stacia Lynn Reynolds and Deborah Brooks Langford; sincerely thank you for your time and hope we shall have your continued support.




1 comment :

  1. Congratulations Michela Zanarella :)
    (Denisa Kondic)

    ReplyDelete